Author Topic: How do I stay satisfied with God?  (Read 7519 times)

NewJoy

How do I stay satisfied with God?
« on: February 21, 2010, 11:50:30 PM »
Hey, I'm new to this site and forums in general. My name is Courtney, and my new year's resolution is being single  for an entire year and learning to love God with all I got and be satisfied by him alone. Well its almost the end of feburary--january went great, but this past month, I have been so tempted and have had such a desire for a man. During this singleness, i don't want to be looking, nor accept any offers because I am easily distracted from God by men.  An advice on how a single-lady can keep focused?

Rx

Re: How do I stay satisfied with God?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:29:15 PM »
I have a feeling the Word is the anchor you are looking for.

:)

I have a feeling reading it allowed might be the ticket,
for numerous people.

Find a willing group and put it on an ipod for some old folks.

...[about] how to record a sound file...
(more in the archive)

Nehemiah 13:1 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Neh13:1)
He read it aloud from daybreak till noon
 ... in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand.
And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.

Revelation 1:3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+1:3&version=NIV)
...Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy,
 and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart
 what is written in it, because the time is near

Townhouse

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 01:05:58 AM »
GOD bless you, Courtney!  And it's great that you've resolved to be content with your singleness and focus on GOD in 2010!  So, now how do you accomplish that for an entire calendar year?  Well, being single, you have more time on  your hands to do GOD's work, to help minister to the less fortunate and such.  When you emerse yourself in that, you'll forget about who's missing in your life.  NOthing else will help you stay focused so well. 

Again Courtney, GOD bless and stay in touch on this forum! 

Scott, AKA Townhouse. 

Xenoglossa

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:50:21 AM »
I'll echo Rx's post by recommending that you read your bible diligently.  (If you aren't already).

But how do you know that God wants you to remain single this year?

Rami

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:56:26 PM »
Thank you for being so honest. I know its been a long time since you have posted , but I just read this and thought about how much courage it takes to be this honest. I have the same struggle you do. I have been single 13 years, and adore men still. The only thing that has kept me pure, is to keep taking my hunger to God. He helped me by asking me to do things like stop having extended eye contact, and to stop looking at men to lust after them, and to stop paying attention to if they are reacting to me.

It has helped a great deal. I was made to be attracted to men, to want to be alluring, and to enjoy that, but I am saving it for someone I know clearly God has sent. Many have come my way, but not the one.

I have had to sort out many things in my singleness, and learning how to take my deepest longings- even physical ones to Jesus and ask Him to help me has always been my strong tower of escape.
  I also took the setting the captive free Way of Purity course which helped me ask God to remove all the sexual images I have stored in my head, and to help me stop giving into the alluring fantasies which I had been feeding on in my mind.
  Some day I hope to give a whole heart to my man, and a wife who is honest with God about her real struggles.
I thank you for being honest in yours. Men are just human beings too- and I had a issue with worshiping them . Jesus is the one who is always going to be there, always- forever, and He  alone deserves my worship. It took me a long time to get there, and I still would like a husband companion to walk with in life, but I got to the point where I realized that God is enough and that He has shown me through out the years He is faithful and passionate about me personally.
   I know God loves you very much - enough to die for you, and will lead you each day as your life unfolds is the way that is the biggest blessing to you, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time. I know He will bless you in a special way for choosing to make Him a priority and sacrifice the attention of men for however long He chooses.
   In our society women without men do suffer. We are left vulnerable in many ways. But, if you are set apart for Him, He always makes a way, and shows His care and glory no matter what. When He whispers sweet things in our ears, they are always to build us up as women, not to manipulate. There are so many men out there who are waiting to take advantage of single women, and having a very close relationship with Him makes us very good discerners  of intentions. Not being so willing to fall into traps that might harm us or ruin our lives.
  Thanks for your post and that reminder.

lizziejane

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 12:20:31 AM »
Thanks to Rami for that insightful, Godly, helpful reply to his very important question. It has helped me a lot. Not a religious reply, but a reply that deals with the truth of being a sexual being, and how to focus it in a healthy way. Boy, I know what you mean. God bless you.

Journo

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 01:43:51 AM »
It is a hard question and it is one that I am dealing with.

I have been single more than half of the nine years I have lived here in NZ. I have also had a lot to conquer to get where I am today.

Suffice to say that God CHANGED my life and my focus.

But like others there are desires that are hard to push aside...I work on giving it all to God....our conversations be they happen while I am in bed at 3am asking questions or 6am when He seems to be more talkative...are about many topics.

Like many, I am single, because of relationships not working out. I am one of those "kicking and screaming" singles by God's choice, not my own. And I suppose in time I will understand they big WHY.

Part of the lessor why are the changes I had to make to renew my relationship with God.

Some times we become single because of changes that need to be made and other times we choose - to have the choice is a good thing. I hope it all goes well for you.

Blessings to you... :)

Hawk

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 10:22:56 PM »
Xenoglossa has the right thought. It sounds like you're unnecessarily putting a burden on yourself. How about finding a dude who is also trying to "stay satisfied with God?" But on your yearlong fast, there's nothing like reading your Bible, attending worship services and Bible studies, service such as mission trips, praying...all the things that you should want to do if you weren't single.

I'm tempted to ask how do I stay satisfied with the world, but it seems funny, kind of like asking how do I know if I'm saving and donating too much of my annual income and not spending enough on fun things.

Rx

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »

...reading [the Word] allowed might be the ticket,
for numerous people.

Ya,  especially for reely bad spellerz...

Johnny1979

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 09:53:38 AM »
I dunno about missionary trips Im not dying in no missionary field for anyone im sorry its one of my worst nightmares. Im not there yet or dont think I would surivve God forbid things get out of control. In foreign countries  people can really get away with hurting Christians you know like in Pakistan and other countries that hate Jesus.

Rx

Twice Dead
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 02:48:53 PM »
...In foreign countries  people can really get away with hurting Christians ...

Jesus said to them,
"A prophet is not without honor except
 in his hometown and among his
 own relatives and in his own household."

...he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

:) or as some say: "Ya gotta die sometime".

"Finish your outdoor work
       and get your fields ready;
       after that, build your house
."
Proverbs 24:27 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Prov24:27)

Deanna

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 04:05:10 PM »
I dunno about missionary trips Im not dying in no missionary field for anyone im sorry its one of my worst nightmares. Im not there yet or dont think I would surivve God forbid things get out of control. In foreign countries  people can really get away with hurting Christians you know like in Pakistan and other countries that hate Jesus.

You don't need to leave the US (I'm assuming that's where you're located) to do missions.  Likely don't even need to leave your town.  Home-missions are plentiful where I live.  Donate to a food pantry.  Serve at a homeless shelter.  Help repair/paint/clean homes for people who aren't so able-bodied anymore.  Teach low-income children to read (they typically need more assistance than more privileged ones do).  And the list goes on...

Johnny1979

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
Umm im talking the old scool way u fast and  pray and ask Jesus where he wants you to go. Thats what I mean

ThyWillBeDone

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
Newjoy, thanks for your submission, & for your honesty.  There's one important point, which I didn't see anyone mentioning except Hawk.   
Remember where God see Adam, & says it's not good for him to be alone?   Adam *WALKED* with God----more closely than anyone even can nowdays----clearly saw Him, & talked with Him, etc.  & *YET*, God said it's not good to be alone.    Something that God has shone me----& it's taken me *YEARS* to realize it  (cause many in the church, do not help with this!) is that God alone, is not enough.    (yes, you heard me right.  )  We've heard countless in the church, say, "all you need is Jesus", but they're wrong.  If we were in *HEAVEN*, IN-PERSON with Jesus (remember the difference, between an in-person relationship, & a LD one?)  that would be true, but, right now, it's not.   Now, we "see through a glass darkly, but THEN, face to face. "  (I Corinth 13---the LOVE chapter----great chapter for singles!) 
Learning to "love God with all you've got" is great, & in fact, is what Jesus commanded us to do.  (heart, soul, & mind)   But, to be satisfied "by Him alone", may be asking too much of yourself.    I'm not suggesting you forget your "fast", but, it needs to be realistic, & in line with God's word. 
God created us a social beings---even men, who some claim aren't very sociable.   ;)    Just because you see a *MAN* (OMG!  ;) doesn't mean he has to be your BF, or, even be considered for the position.   
Learn to appreciate men as God's creation;   as fellow heirs with you, in the grace of God;  as brothers in Christ.   (you wouldn't have fantasies about your brother, right?)    Remember the verse, "sticks closer than a BOYFRIEND? "  Oh, so that's not right?  It's "closer than a BROTHER."   Spend time with men (in groups, I don't think you're ready for a 1-on-1 friendship) & with women.    As Hawk suggested, there are many activities you can do---find something that you can share with other believers---yes, even with men.  Sports, Bible studies, games, etc.   Mission trips aren't for everyone, & if you're still desiring men sexually, they're probably a bad idea.    Start with your brothers in Christ where you live, in your neighborhood, your church, etc.  Personally, I find it helps to talk to people online, helps us keep from being so isolated.   (remember, God created people, to *NEED* people!)
Make God your 1st priority (time, energy, etc) & then feel free to spend time with (CHRISTIAN) men.    Contrary to popular belief, being single isn't easy for guys either.   Maybe some of the guys you know, are struggling with being single, & "loving God with all they have."    Ask guys if they want to talk about it (again, in groups, 1-on-1 can provide too much temptation for you, IMHO.)---it's not so easy for many guys to share, esp about emotional issues.   Tell them what you're doing to strengthen your walk with God, & ask them what they're doing, etc.   

Here's another suggestion:  find men who're feeling down, bad about themselves, etc (there's lots out there!) & tell them what you love & admire about men, & about them as a man in particular.       We are to "build one another up", but few ever take the time to do it.
 Personally, I wish there were more women like you where I live----I've known so many women (even many claiming to be "Christian" who've basically come to *HATE* men, & it shows, in their actions, & in their words.

REMEMBER:  Think "BROTHER IN CHRIST" (not BF!) & once you get that down firmly in your head, & in your heart, your actions will follow.
God Bless, & stay true to Jesus!

Johnny1979

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »
I got a question why do wehavewait on God to give us a mate when we have the zodiac im just asking becuaseatleast with the zodiac you have compatibility plan, instead of relying on faith to make things work! im just asking. I know GOD hates it and we have to just have faith in him alone to make things work.
I find that hard to accept since everytime im drawn to him he makes it hard. I usually just ignore after that and do my thing. After GOd wants mebut he makes it difficult im not havin it anymore